ARCHIVED: Book Reading in New York City Streamed Live, Radio Show

24 February 2015, 7:00 – 9:30 p.m. Eastern, Spoonbill Books, 218 Bedford Avenue, Brooklyn, New York, telephone 718.387.7322. Reading and signing books, with plenty of time for Q&A, wine, and cheese. Details here. This event is archived here in three parts (presented in reverse-chronological order).

______

I’m traveling, and will be less available than usual. Please display patience when waiting for comments to be posted.
______

Please visit the DONATIONS tab. I’m open to non-monetary donations, subject only to your creativity. For example, I would appreciate your generosity with respect to frequent-flyer miles.
______

Catch Nature Bats Last on the radio with Mike Sliwa and Guy McPherson. Tune in every Tuesday at 8:00 p.m. Eastern time, or catch up in the archives here. If you prefer the iTunes version, including the option to subscribe, you can click here.

This week’s show features a conversation between McPherson and his two hosts on the current tour. David Petraitis lives in New York City, and Pauline Schneider lives in Westchester County, New York. It’s archived here.

_______

19 February – 4 March 2015, In and around New York City, New York (details below). Please RSVP for each of these events by sending a message to naturebatslast2007@gmail.com.

24 February 2015, 7:00 – 9:30 p.m., Spoonbill Books, 218 Bedford Avenue, Brooklyn, New York, telephone 718.387.7322. Reading and signing books, with plenty of time for Q&A, wine, and cheese. Details here.

27 February 2015, 6:00 – 9:00 p.m., Project Reach, 39 Eldridge Street, Suite 4, New York, New York, Abrupt Climate Change: How Will You Show Up During Humanity’s Final Chapter?

1 March 2015, 6:00 p.m. Woodbine Collective, 18-84 Woodbine Street, New York, New York. Reading and signing books, with plenty of time for Q&A.

Woodbine poster March 1 2015

GuyPosterNY copy

***

Abrupt Climate Change: How Will You Show Up During Humanity’s Final Chapter?

4-16 March, Northern California Tour organized by Peter Melton: 530-680-5550,
Peter.Melton3@gmail.com. Additional venues may be added.

11-12 March 2015, Veterans Hall, 415 North Pine Street, Nevada City, California, presentation and workshop titled, “Abrupt Climate Change: How Will You Show Up During Humanity’s Final Chapter?” Follow on Facebook here.

11 March: 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. presentation and public discussion
11 March: 8:30 – 10:00 p.m. workshop part I
12 March: 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. workshop part II

13-14 March 2015, Chico Peace and Justice Center, 526 Broadway, Chico, California, presentation and workshop titled, “Abrupt Climate Change: How Will You Show Up During Humanity’s Final Chapter?” Follow on Facebook here.

13 March 13: 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. presentation and public discussion
13 March: 8:30 – 10:00 p.m. workshop part I
14 March: 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. workshop part II

***

22 March – 3 April Boston, Massachusetts. Details to follow.

***

6-30 April 2015, western Europe (additional details forthcoming, and follow the tour at guymcpherson.net and also on Facebook)

25 April 2015, 6:00 p.m., Conway Hall, 25 Red Lion Square, London, “Climate Awareness Seminar”

European tour spring 2015

_______

McPherson’s latest book is co-authored by Carolyn Baker. Extinction Dialogs: How to Live with Death in Mind is available. Electronic copy is available here from Amazon.

_______

If you have registered, or you intend to register, please send an email message to guy.r.mcpherson@gmail.com. Include the online moniker you’d like to use in this space. I’ll approve your registration as quickly as possible. Thanks for your patience.

_______

Tech note, courtesy of mo flow: Random issues have been appearing with posting comments. Sometimes a “Submit Comment” click will return a 404 Page Not Found, or another error, for no apparent reason. To ensure you don’t lose a longer comment, you can right-click select all, and right-click copy, in the comment box before clicking “Submit.” If that hasn’t been done, the comment text will likely still be in the comment box when clicking the back button, or the forward button — depending on the error — on your browser.

Comments 61

• Trying first 1/3 of failed 2/23 comment here. (First 1/2 failed too.)

I would like to create a list of questions that we might consider focusing on in our Tacoma ESG meetings, if and when we might wish to do that. To “seed” the question generation process, I have come up with the following five questions. Would anyone like to add their proposed questions to this list? If so, please let me know.

*How does one best develop a deep sense of acceptance with its subsequent sense of peace?

*How do we best support each other emotionally in and outside of our meetings?

*How do we best support each other socially in and outside of our meetings?

*Given the extremely high probability of human extinction within about the next 20 years, what meaning do we best construct for human life in general?

*Given the extremely high probability of human extinction within about the next 20 years, what meaning do I best construct for my life in particular?

• Trying the last 1/3 of failed 2/23 comment here (2nd 1/3 failed):

Regarding anthropology, archaeology, energy, consciousness, and the nature and development of the Homo sapiens’ brain, see this (to me, at least) fascinating, highly educational, 13-minute TED talk by Suzana Herculano-Houzel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7_XH1CBzGw). Note: “The human brain is not special in its number of neurons. It is just a large primate brain. I think this is a very humbling and sobering thought that should remind us of our place in nature.” [Meanwhile, the Neanderthals had brains larger than ours.] “How did we come by this remarkable number of neurons?” Note the energy issues as related to obtaining food, body size, and the nature of the food eaten! Note the implications of this as related to the invention of fire technology!

Regarding the recent interest in psychoanalytic theory at Nature Bats Last, I would like to point out that as helpful as we found Freud, Jung, Adler, and other’s psychoanalytic thinkers, that model remains very weak in terms of scientific evidence and reasoning support in comparison with behavioral, cognitive, and emotional science. That said, I have copied below a couple of sentences and a couple of paragraphs from Ernest Becker’s book, The Birth and Death of Meaning. (Becker strongly embraced psychoanalytic thinking.)

“The self is not physical, it is symbolic.” [Our sense of “self” does not exist physically, but symbolically—and we tend strongly to confuse our symbols with realities outside of our heads.]

“Generally, the more anxious and insecure we are, the more we invest in these symbolic extensions of ourselves.” [Meanwhile, the prospect of NTHE elicits massive anxiety and fear, and we tend ever more strongly to confuse our symbols with the realities that our symbols only “represent”.]

“We call precisely those people ‘strong’ who can withdraw a pseudopod at will from trifling parts of their identity, or especially from important ones. Someone who can say ‘it is only a scratch on a Ferrari,’ ‘the uneven wall is not me, the wood crack is not me,’ and so on. They disentangle themselves easily and flexibly from the little damages and raves to their self-extensions. Financiers who can say of a several million dollar loss: ‘well, it’s only paper.” Or those, like Nikos Kazantzakiis’ father witnessing the ruin of the grape crop in a massive rain storm, and in the midst of the general hysteria, calmly saying ‘Never mind, we are still alive.'”

“This flexibility of the self is real power, and the achievement of it is a rare maturity. In technical language we say that the person is ‘well centered’ and has control of his ego boundaries. The extensions of his self do not pull him off balance; rather HE controls THEM. This centering of the ego boundaries under one’s control is one of life’s principle tasks, and few achieve it….”

Another sentence: “Children lie like cats absorbing the delicious stroking of adults.” [This points directly to attachment theory. All of this points to the power of Albert Ellis’ Rational-Emotive Behavior Therapy as well as to the more recent and more firmly science-based work of John Gottman and Susan Johnson largely based on attachment theory.]

• Trying 1st half of middle 1/3 of failed 2/23 comment here:

You can see the newest Jeremy Jackson (marine biologist) lecture at the U.S. Naval War College, “Sea Level Rise Is Dangerous”, 1 hr, 9 min., published Feb. 5, 2015, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAtCQ7REXAc . (In my opinion, a must see. People with a strong interest in permaculture may find the points between about 30 and 45 minutes especially relevant and interesting. Q & A begins at 45 min. I challenge anyone to watch this and not find themselves shaking their heads in amazement many times.) Note: “Sea level is rising a lot faster than we thought it would.” Note his emphasis on the non-linear, complex feedbacks—which Scott Johnson at Fractal Planet (and some people at NBL today) found my persistently emphasizing so objectionable. “When the West Antarctic ice sheet breaks, we could see a 10 foot sea level rise within a few years.” For the people who have trouble reading, I will repeat that: “When the West Antarctic ice sheet breaks, we could see a 10 foot sea level rise within a few years.” “I think we’ve got a few decades. But certainly no more than that.” (Here referring to the previously mentioned VERY rapid, large sea level rise.)

• Hogging the comment space is not a substitute for clarity.

One’s local support group will better be served by postings to a blog dedicated to that group. In that way, comments and suggestions related to such a group can be invited to that blog, instead of trashing NBL. There are folks who visit NBL but don’t give diddly squat about some support group elsewhere: they should not have to wade through the muck of that support group spread wide and deep at NBL.

• @Robin Datta

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Thanks.

• Thanks Robin!

• Avoidance

Maybe the main reason why
    We argue, talk nonsense, and lie
    Is because that, for real,
    We’ll most likely feel
    Increasingly worse till we die.

• “Hogging the comment space is not a substitute for clarity.”

No, it’s something else entirely. Rudolf Steiner described it as ‘The Mania To Impart Information’.

• I thought Bud’s questions were good. And I liked the pseudopod image; that is something I can notice in myself recently, especially w/r/t people.

Robin, in particular, can be considered to have overshared by some..with all his stuff about the “I”. ..is that “trashing?” If people don’t like the comments on offer, they are surely free to contribute something better….

I’m sort of mystified at the increasing amount of ill will being displayed.

Folks, they’re just pixels…!

• Bud, for me, no one has had as much influence as Peace Pilgrim. Her little Steps Toward Inner Peace is free, always has been, and it’s on the net.

I am not anti-science. I started life as a biology student before I realized I love words but only appreciate math occasionally. I like science just fine, but is people like Peace, Katie, Rosenberg, Anthony De Mello, Elizabeth Kubler-Ross, and others are what have helped me find any peace I may have.

Peace once made the statement that the knowledge of how to attain peace have always been known. It is *doing* it that is hard, it is the practice of peace that is simple but unappealing. It requires a great deal from us.

I can only recommend the work of these people to you, and maybe you won’t relate as I did, but I love all of them and they have all helped me find more peace within myself.

ogf

• seconding everything Lidia said. Bud’s comments are totally relevant. he is also dealing with some issue that is preventing his whole comment from going in one post, which forces him to break it into multiple posts (and subsequently is not as clear as it could be). no problem in that situation for a few over-posts – and that would apply to anyone who hits the same issue.

~mo

• “Robin, in particular, can be considered to have overshared by some..with all his stuff about the “I”. ..is that “trashing?””

I have not had comments disappear because of excessive length. Hopefully not buried in verbosity.

• Robin –

“I have not had comments disappear because of excessive length.”

just to clarify, excessive length is not what is causing trouble with the 404 errors. it seems to be content, and that can be a single word. “penicilin” (when spelled correctly!) was the single word that blocked one of Bud’s previous comments – and every test I did at that time with that word as well.

again, this could be something to do with the spam control system.

as I just found out now while trying to post this comment, that one word, penicilin, is still causing a 404 error. what, exactly, this whacked out “word flagging” issue is right now, I have to sort out.

btw – if anyone else wants to find random and creative ways to include the word “penicilin” (spelled correctly!) in their posts, and see if they get a 404, that could be helpful. the way this issue *seems* to happen, some people apparently can use the magic word with no problem, and some people (like Bud and me) cannot. more data here would be great.

• today’s magic word, NBL contestants, is “casinno” (when spelled correctly)

that is the magic word that will block Bud from posting anything!

“Batman, is technology insane?”

“Yes, Robin. It was all created by the Joker. It is the ultimate evil master plan to destroy us all.”

anyways, this is certainly some freaky anti-spam side effect from something in the WordPress system here, or the Joker really has decided to take it all to a new level of crazy.

and Bud, that word, in that part of your comment that would not post, is definitely the current problem. (along with penicilin)

~mo

• My short, static thought processes are not conducive to a two-post limit, darn it.

To elaborate on the peace subject, Bud, I went through two distinct phases with my own journey to greater peace and I must address both kinds of peace in life.

The first peace is the peace I feel, and the experiences that occur in connection with those feelings. That is fluid, changing, all over the place sometimes, and other times it is more steady. Some days I only have moments of peace. I have had entire months of it at other times. When we have inner peace, we don’t need any methods for cultivating peace. It happens automatically, like a flower turning to the sun. I have experienced this honest-to-god compassion that transcends any defensiveness or sense of injury on my part, no matter what other people might have said or tried to do to me.

Just like Katie, who says, “Everyone loves me; they just don’t know it yet.” I have had a few times in my life when I’ve had people walk up and scream in my face, call me all kinds of names, and I felt nothing but tremendous joy and compassion. I was in a state of freedom, and I knew that the greater truth of their behavior was that they LOVED me. They adored me, and I saw it like I could see the sun on the horizon.

The other kind of peace I focus on and address is the kind I try to cultivate through practice and intellectual understanding, even when I feel quite conflicted or negative toward someone. That is the kind of peace that Peace Pilgrim and Marshall Rosenberg really help me with even now. Intellectual understanding is a midpoint that can provide a framework, but it can’t be the experience itself. Ultimately, and Peace Pilgrim explains this very well, the experience itself is the treasure, and intellectual frameworks are the fingers pointing to it.

And for the most basic sort of illustration, I really recommend Marshall’s videos where he speaks directly to people. In one video he tells about meeting with a group of people who were always upset with their boss. When Marshall asked them what the man *did* that was upsetting, the entire group responded with *judgments* ~ He talks too much; he’s got a big mouth; etc. It was hard work but eventually Rosenberg was able to get the people to tell him what the supervisor actually DID, not their judgments about what he did, but a meaningful description.

The actual behavior was that the supervisor routinely went off on tangents during meetings and told lengthy personal stories that prevented his staff from talking about the work like they wanted to discuss.

Trying to get people to shift to describing behaviors more neutrally, rather than defining them by values and subjective assessments, was hard to do. It had to be explained over and over again for this group. This is trained into us, to express ourselves this way. We start learning this way of seeing and being – the way of evaluating everything we encounter – as soon as we are born, because the people around us start right in with it as soon as they look at us, and our associations start digging channels in our little circuits like they never will again.

We also want to universalize everything. Example, here: are Bud’s comments “relevant”? If one person relates and appreciates them, then I guess they are, to that one person. We judge these little things against some great, cosmic eternal standard that if it even existed, we don’t know it. No human does, anymore than my dog does.

• Where is the link to the book reading stream.

Might as well help mo:

c*asino
    p*enicillin

Spelled correctly cause the 404 error

• hi Bud,
    Glad you’re doing the local support group thing.
    When I feel too “pulled into the game” here, you know, overly invested in opinions, I know it’s time to spend more time outside… Time is running out. We need to decide what’s Really Real.
    Pixels can pack a whollop sometimes, but this is not real life in the sense of direct physical contact with Home. (Think of your own little world without the tentacles of electricity.)
    And physical beings are what we are, spirit springing from that like multiple harmonics from a true string, or maybe vise versa! Either way, I work on getting truly grounded, toes in the grass, hands in the soil, heart singing thank you, I’m sorry, I love you, over and over.
    And don’t forget to volunteer at the local shelter, animal or human. 🙂

OK mo~, time to try some ‘penicilllin’:
    (note – just got the 404, will take out correct spelling of penisillin. Wonder what other words are on the this ‘do not post’ list?)
    There’s no going home…

• Clarification: When we have inner peace, we don’t need any methods for cultivating peace *with others.* It happens automatically. Katie discusses this. Our psychological suffering and our judgments are locked together. This is universal in all the ancient wisdoms throughout the world. It is in the Tao, Judeo-Christian-Islam, Buddhism, Native American traditions, everywhere, because it these understandings are about mastering consciousness. Knowing what to *do* from within our hearts can’t come from a “judgment,” and theoretical scenarios about what-if, the kind we just get all orgasmic over in Western thought, are not helpful in understanding these principles.

• Dredd & Wren – thanks for the tests. very good to see some consistency to this issue. it is the inconsistent stuff that makes debugging verge slightly into insanity…

right now, the spam control that is in place is holding back what would be a tsunami of radioactive pixel horror. so I can’t just rip it all out and try something else. has to be a bit more surgical and careful. a few more magic word tests from others would be appreciated, just to see if it is totally consistent, or any different behavior shows up.

ogf – I meant “relevant” strictly in the sense of on-topic. that is an easy snap judgement. if Bud had posted something that included the word “cassino” because he was posting a long description of his latest blackjack scheme, with links to buy your very own DVD to learn his secret unbeatable method, that would have been off-topic, and deleted.

~mo

• Word test:
    I just lt a million quid in the casino royale.

• Even though I cant spell lost, it certainly looks like my casno got through! (not the second time though!).

• mo flo,

Thanks for the excellent tech sleuthing! At least this time the process went significantly faster for both of us than it did with the last problem word.

Robin Datta,

Only a small part of my comment related to the Tacoma ESG (the questions), and I included that part only because I thought some people, perhaps many, would have an interest in thinking about and contributing to the questions. I apologize if I used poor judgment concerning this. On the other hand, in my experience no matter WHAT I might write, say, or do, I find that some people like it, and some do not; sometimes some people strongly like it, and some people strongly dislike it; so I have long since decided not to drive myself nuts trying to please everyone all of the time, and not to upset myself when some people express dislike.

• @oldgrowthforest

Bullseye. Part of it seems to be that we no longer need to cultivate dissension with others. Do we do that just to reinforce our own sense of self? It seems like it to me.

• This is an article that describes the relationship between Columbia and the USA more succinctly than I have seen in some time although Mr Chomsky probably has many bulging files on the subject.

” the United States “is no mere outside influence, but is a direct actor in the conflict owing to prolonged involvement.” And, “U. S. actions exist in a framework of a relationship of subordination. … [T]he block in power had an active role in reproducing subordination, because, (Vega quotes Colombia Internacional, vol 65), ‘there existed for more than 100 years a pact among the national elites for whom subordination led to economic and political gains.’” As a result, “Not only in the international sphere, but in the domestic one too, the United States, generally, has the last word.”

The USA is a P.O.S. and u can quote me on that!

• Test for mo flow. Posting while registered:
    casino

• Tech Note:

Working through my gambling addiction, I find that I am unable to get proper treatment for my condition. It seems the medicine (an antibiotic of some note) is only available at the gambling place, and I cannot refer to either here at this site.

First try was the antibiotic. Got 404 error.
    Second try was the exact same post, but substituted the gambling place for the antibiotic. Got: “It seems you already said that” (or something to that affect).

On a side note, every time I go to register it takes me to the wordpress site. After entering my super secret password, over on the left it says ‘Collapse Menu’. Cool! Can I order up a main course of methane clathrate, with a side of resource depletion. Perhaps a nice desert of civil unrest. Nice to be able to choose & not have someone else’s collapse preferences force upon me!

• Now I see that the second try did go through, even though it told me it did not and I did not see it there until after my longer, 4:54 pm post. Funny.

Thanks mo for helping with this stuff. Mysterious mess. Glad you are here.

• The gaming venue worked; the medicine did not (404).

• I should note a science-fiction book by Greg Bear called “The Forge of God”. It is the story of aliens who send depth charges from space to sink across the ocean trenches and then explode simultaneously to rip apart the planet (to punish the human species). The humans find out way too late, and so it is curtains. The last 50 pages of the book is the destruction of the world and end of life on earth, and the stories of what people do and how they deal with it.

Some people love the book. But, I never liked Bear’s writing much, and dismissed this book as soon as I read it. However, now it seems to have a bit more cache, relevance and weight than before.

• Bud – instead of doing a divide and conquer search this time, I just looked at that paragraph you sent that wouldn’t post, and just guessed what the most suspect word would be – bing! first try, right out of the box.

islandraider – would you like some water cannon topping to go with your civil unrest dessert? I hear it’s a very nice palate cleanser. our menu is always expanding! please come again soon.

thanks all, for the tests! as both red fox’s and Lidia’s tests show, this problem can be random in unpredictable ways! yipee!

seriously, this is a small price to pay for keeping the spam tsunami at bay. it is actually working fairly well now and blocking tons of junk. if you happen to be posting something that gets a 404, think what mysterious magic word might be causing The Matrix to glitch out, or look at you squinty eyed. words like botox, long lasting pool floor coatings, or your best intimate life refresher. just avoid those things, and you’ll be fine.

but really seriously, I am going to test my mad Tech Fu skillz out here, and see if this mysterious mess can’t be sorted out… water cannons will be a last resort.

~mo

• one other note:

new member registration on the NBL blog is currently turned OFF. (this is the membership system within WordPress for NBL only).

it is not necessary to be a registered member to post, and current members can still log in if they wish.

new commenters will have their first comment held for moderation, and when approved, will be freely able to comment.

it was necessary to turn off member registration as the system was getting completely flooded with spam members. this may or may not be turned back on in the future, depending on various factors.

~mo

• Thanks mo for the water cannon topping. What I am really hoping for is some nice rectal rehydration, served up by the same nice folks (Rahm & Barack) that decided it would be fun to start a secret prison in Chicago.

Why am I surprised? I should not be. But I continue to be surprised nearly every day watching the train wreck happening in real time. But, don’t dispair. The stock market is up, up, up!!! Everything is wonderful!

• From earlier comments….

““When we have inner peace, we don’t need any methods for cultivating peace *with others.* It happens automatically.”

Bullseye….”

Well, because it seems ‘ok now’ to write about peace and consciousness issues here on NBL…..

Adi Da Samraj advised, to paraphrase,

“Return the Pranas to the Heart”

I take that to mean the ‘scatter’ of psychic, or Pranic energy, that happens when the Self Contraction ‘habit’ of Ego is enacted, if intentionally returned to the Heart, by feeling contemplation on the Heart, results in withdrawing the projections so caused, moment to moment, by said Ego. Release the self contraction, ie. relinquish the activity of Ego, and the ‘scatter’ of the ‘Pranas’with all their psychp-physical dramas and complicated Oedipal contents, are not CREATED, or re-CREATED.

Many other Masters of the Body-Mind in the great sacred traditions have advised the same, but, in closing, I will observe here, none have done so Perfectly, in every moment to the degree that 7th and ‘final’ stage Enlightenment was the Realisation. It’s been done. Story unfolds from there, naturally.
    Go look for yourselves.

‘Adi Da Samraj: We are NOT separate beings’

All of it, but from 5:30 is challenging !!

All very challenging, just so we know.
    😉

• Also found this recently…

‘Learning to care and co-operate triggered evolution of human intelligence, research claims’

A quote:
    “Dr Spikins, who is publishing her findings in a book, How Compassion Made Us Human, points to archeological finds hinting that even pre-humans had unsuspected emotional depths.

Among the earliest is the Makapansgat pebble, a small rock with pits and markings resembling a baby’s face, found in a South African cave with australopithecines, dating back three million years.

Australopithecines, our direct ancestors, were widely depicted as the “killer ape” because skulls and bones in the cave had been smashed in what the 1930s archeologists who found them assumed was warfare. The discovery inspired the early scenes in the film 2001: A Space odyssey, which suggested that fighting helped apes to evolve into humans.

But Dr Spikins says australopithecines were hunted by other animals and survived by co-operating rather than fighting.

“What is remarkable is that this pebble was carried several miles back to its cave by an australopithecine,’’ she said. “Did it remind them of a baby? It is impossible to tell for sure but this is not the only tantalising sign of something perhaps approaching tenderness.”….
    “A uniquely human feeling lies behind both the creation of such finely crafted tools and caring for the vulnerable,” Dr Spikins said.

“It suggests early humans, from two million years ago, were emotionally similar to us.”

Her theories are likely to be controversial in a field dominated by the belief that early humans were ruthless hunters.

Dr Spikins says fighting and competition were less important than the co-operation that helped the evolution of intelligence.

“The idea that we are all innate­ly selfish, which comes from modern economics, has had a strong influence on how we inter­pret archeological finds but the evidence suggests that … early humans’ survival would have depend­ed on co-operation: aggres­sive or selfish behaviour would have been very risky.””

Now I ask….

Isn’t ‘learning to care and co-operate’ not just a ‘sign’ of Intelligence, but Intelligence itself ?

In other words, it is LOVE that defines us !
    Another word for ‘Absolutely-Utterly-Free-Blissful-Consciousness’ to me.

Share the Love.

(The Math test is getting really hard)
    😉

• [hat tip to James over at CoIC)

A New Physics Theory of Life

[quotes]

England’s theory is meant to underlie, rather than replace, Darwin’s theory of evolution by natural selection, which provides a powerful description of life at the level of genes and populations. “I am certainly not saying that Darwinian ideas are wrong,” he explained. “On the contrary, I am just saying that from the perspective of the physics, you might call Darwinian evolution a special case of a more general phenomenon.”

His idea, detailed in a recent paper and further elaborated in a talk he is delivering at universities around the world, has sparked controversy among his colleagues, who see it as either tenuous or a potential breakthrough, or both.

[sounds a lot like Paul C’s musings]

At the heart of England’s idea is the second law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of increasing entropy or the “arrow of time.” Hot things cool down, gas diffuses through air, eggs scramble but never spontaneously unscramble; in short, energy tends to disperse or spread out as time progresses. Entropy is a measure of this tendency, quantifying how dispersed the energy is among the particles in a system, and how diffuse those particles are throughout space. It increases as a simple matter of probability: There are more ways for energy to be spread out than for it to be concentrated. Thus, as particles in a system move around and interact, they will, through sheer chance, tend to adopt configurations in which the energy is spread out. Eventually, the system arrives at a state of maximum entropy called “thermodynamic equilibrium,” in which energy is uniformly distributed.

“This means clumps of atoms surrounded by a bath at some temperature, like the atmosphere or the ocean, should tend over time to arrange themselves to resonate better and better with the sources of mechanical, electromagnetic or chemical work in their environments,” England explained. [read the rest]

• shit house poet on the bathrooom wall…

• *Name:*
    *Email Address:*
    *Subject:* Account charged, but no book
    *Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2014
    *Message:* My Discover card account was charged on 10/06/14 TAYEN LANE
    <tel:4158062844 > CA
    Merchandise $22.41 For Extinction Dialogs, but no book yet!?!

/(Sent via TAYEN LANE PUBLISHING )/

Director of Submissions
    Tayen Lane Publishing
    info@tayenlane.com
    <mailto:info@tayenlane.com >

=======================================

Subject: Extinction Dialogs
    Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 11:10:54 -0700
    From: Information & Submissions <info@tayenlane.com

Hi,

Thank you for your inquiry.

The book, now in its third printing, will be shipped to you next week.

Thanks,
    Rain Jordan

=======================================

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 6:21 PM,

It has now been four months and I have not received the book!

My Discover card account was charged on 10/06/14 TAYEN LANE
    CA Merchandise $22.41

PLEASE SEND THE BOOK!

========================================

*Name:*
    *Email Address:*
    *Subject:* Account charged, but no book
    *Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2014
    *Message:* My Discover card account was charged on 10/06/14 TAYEN LANE
    <tel:4158062844 > CA
    Merchandise $22.41 For Extinction Dialogs, but no book yet!?!

/(Sent via TAYEN LANE PUBLISHING )/

Director of Submissions
    Tayen Lane Publishing
    info@tayenlane.com
    <mailto:info@tayenlane.com >

=======================================

Subject: Extinction Dialogs
    Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 11:10:54 -0700
    From: Information & Submissions <info@tayenlane.com

Hi,

Thank you for your inquiry.

The book, now in its third printing, will be shipped to you next week.

Thanks,
    Rain Jordan

=======================================

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 6:21 PM,

It has now been four months and I have not received the book!

My Discover card account was charged on 10/06/14 TAYEN LANE
    CA Merchandise $22.41

PLEASE SEND THE BOOK!

=======================================

Subject: Re: Still have not received Extinction Dialogs
    Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 09:59:38 -0800
    From: Kermit E. Heartsong

Hi,

It’s been sent directly from the printer. You will have it next week.

So sorry for the delay, we’ve had printing problems. Please feel free to select one of our eBooks as a free gift for your patience. Just let me know and I will have it emailed to you.

Kermit

=======================================

Subject: Your order has been shipped!
    Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 16:07:01 -0800
    From: Tayen Lane Publishing
    Reply-To: info@tayenlane.com

Dear,

Thank you for your order from *New Squarespace Store! *We wanted to let
    you know that your order (#155) was shipped via Other, on 2/24/2015.

This shipment includes the following items:
    *Item #* *Description* *Qty*
    SQ6332277 EXTINCTION DIALOGS – SOFTCOVER 1

*Thank you for your business and we look forward to serving you in the future!

**Tayen Lane Publishing*
    *Phone: *4158062844
    *Email: *info@tayenlane.com
    *Website:* http://www.tayenlane.com

Subject: Re: Still have not received Extinction Dialogs
    Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 09:59:38 -0800
    From: Kermit E. Heartsong

Hi,

It’s been sent directly from the printer. You will have it next week.

Kermit

=======================================

Subject: Your order has been shipped!
    Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 16:07:01 -0800
    From: Tayen Lane Publishing
    Reply-To: info@tayenlane.com

Dear,

Thank you for your order from *New Squarespace Store! *We wanted to let
    you know that your order (#155) was shipped via Other, on 2/24/2015.

This shipment includes the following items:
    *Item #* *Description* *Qty*
    SQ6332277 EXTINCTION DIALOGS – SOFTCOVER 1

*Thank you for your business and we look forward to serving you in the future!

**Tayen Lane Publishing*
    *Phone: *4158062844
    *Email: *info@tayenlane.com
    *Website:* http://www.tayenlane.com

• US sea level north of New York City ‘jumped by 128mm’ (~5″)

Sea levels along the northeast coast of the US rose by record levels during 2009-2010, a study has found.

Sea levels north of New York City rose by 128mm (5 inches) in two years, according to a report in the journal, Nature Communications.

Coastal areas will need to prepare for short term and extreme sea level events, say US scientists.

Climate models suggest extreme sea level rises will become more common this century.

“The extreme sea level rise event during 2009-10 along the northeast coast of North America is unprecedented during the past century,” Prof Jianjun Yin of the University of Arizona told BBC News.

“Statistical analysis indicates that it is a 1-in-850 year event.”

• Tom Says:
    February 25th, 2015 at 4:52 am
    =================
    Natalie Wolchover posted that piece in January of 2014.

I had read it awhile back, and found it interesting.

I know of a scientist who cringes at the notion of “the fundamental laws of nature” which is found in the first paragraph of Natalie’s piece.

His dismay is expressed as:

This is said to be the golden age of cosmology and it is from an observational point of view, but from a theoretical point of view it’s almost a disaster. It’s crazy the kind of ideas that we find ourselves thinking about.

And the metaphor here—which comes from atomism that comes from Democritus [c. 460 – c. 370 BC] and Lucretius [c.99—c.55 BC] —is that physics is nothing but atoms moving in a void and the atoms never change. The atoms have properties like mass and charge that never change in time. The void—which is space in the old days never changed in time—was fixed and they moved according to laws …

Why are we confident of that? We’re confident of that because we have a kind of metaphysical belief that there are laws of nature that are outside time and those laws of nature are causing the outcome of the experiment to be what it is. And laws of nature don’t change in time. They’re outside of time. They act on the system now, they acted on the system in the same way in the past, they will act the same way in a year or a million or a billion years, and so they’ll give the same outcome. So nature will repeat itself and experiments will be repeatable because there are timeless laws of nature.

But that’s a really weird idea [for scientists] if you think about it because it involves the kind of mystical and metaphysical notion of something that is not physical, something that is not part of the state of the world, something that is not changeable, acting from outside the system to cause things to happen. And, when I think about it, that is kind of a remnant of religion. It is a remnant of the idea that God is outside the system acting on it.

(quoting Dr. Lee Smolin).

• Modern Money Mechanics Says:
    February 25th, 2015 at 6:49 am

US sea level north of New York City ‘jumped by 128mm’ (~5″)

===============================
    Wow!!!!

Thanks for the link.

• Great Q&A, I like your mic technique too Guy. Study more Carlin to get that timing down. Still making plans to get you back here in Chicago area.

• “As a consequence, the enhanced global warming will melt the global ice sheets at a fast increasing rate causing the sea level to begin rising at 15.182 cm/yr in the first few years after 2015 giving an accurate way of gauging the worldwide continental ice loss (Figure 3). This sudden increase in the rate of sea level rise will mark the … Arctic wide blowout of methane into the atmosphere.”
    Charting Mankind’s Arctic Methane Emission Exponential Expressway to Total Extinction in the Next 50 Years
    By Malcolm P. R. Light
    SUNDAY, AUGUST 10, 2012

15 cms is 150 mm (~ 6″). And that’s global sea level, not just locally heaped up water due to a change is the Gulf Stream. And that’s a specifc forecast event that offers a yardstick against which to evaluate the whole narrative.

• OzMan, great link. I agree with him regarding the lack of reality of a self and what he and others call “the witness.”

I call the witness “I,” and I do so not to define, but give a sense of the experience.

“I” am sitting at my computer at this moment typing these strokes. When “I” go to sleep at night and dream, “I” am both having the dream and in it at the same time. In the dream, “I” have no memory of a name, a physical appearance, or any personal history of the waking “I” that “I” was just before “I” went to sleep, something “I” not longer remember.

“I” is pure consciousness, and there is a sense of “I” to it in the same way “I” experience the dream. In fact, there are a few “I” perspectives in our daily lives that we experience equally because they are all “I”.

It takes an “I” to have a “self.” The self is illusion, but the perspective that sees the illusion is not. Every perspective is equally “I”. Even the dog and the wild birds in the trees outside have an equal perspective of “I.”

Again, I do not refer to a label here, but the perspective, exactly as this gentleman states. He and I use different words, however.

When asked for his “name” in the Bible, God’s answer was “I am.” This is a consciousness statement about all consciousness. It’s a higher truth than any label.

If “I” were nothing but a point of consciousness in an infinite void, then the only thing that existed would be “I”.

It actually is quite “personal,” just not the “person” we believe we are.

• @ogf

“It actually is quite ‘personal’, just not the ‘person’ we believe we are”.

Exactly.

• If there is even the slightest sense of a “not-I” contrasting with the “I”, one is still operating in duality, like most sentient beings. The “not-I” is realised to be a mirage when the “I” is also so recognised.

The mirages may continue if physical existence continues. Once recocnised, the mirages cannot be de-recognised. And while they continue in their roles, they are seen to have never exerted any control on what in the Vedic tradition is referred to as the Witness. Yet prior to the realisation it seems not just control, but that those two mirages are reality itself.

• @ogf,

That was beautiful. You’ve given me a way to see past the residual discomfort attached to the word “I”. Thank you.

• Just wondering…what does one do in these last days…there aren’t many left…do we torture ourselves by siting helplessly in terror…do we sit Buddha like…do we kill our favorite bully…do we pray to ___…do we quietly take our own lives..do we play like nothing is happening…?

I’m in the 6th dark humor stage because I’ve been through the other 5 and I’m just wondering what others think.

• Make love like there’s no tomorrow…

• Paul,

Thanks. I had not thought about partying. Not a bad idea. You must be of the younger crowd.

• @ Guy, thank you so much for the award and the related anecdotes in this week’s prn show. It means a lot to me.
    ==

Enlightenment

Initially only a rumor,
    Then denied with derision and humor,
    Doom finally hits,
    Your mind’s blown to bits,
    And after that, you are a doomer.

• Diarmiud, Thank you for commenting. I’m glad you relate!

Paul, Thank you. Of course, Dr. Datta is quite technically correct and at pure consciousness there is no “I”, but there is something that is *being* in the same way we are “a” being. However, there is no way for me to say this to someone else without the word “I” when “I” communicate the ideas.

Many people experience a/the “void” where they say they exist outside of time and thought. People who have near-death experiences sometimes experience it instead of a heavenly or hellish or astral experience. They go to a void. Some of them find it terrifying. Many find it peaceful. I experienced this once very briefly, and it cannot be described. But how can “I” describe it without saying that “I” was pure consciousness? And then, “I” moved back into my material-conscious self and “I” was stuck back in the body point of consciousness.

We don’t really have the words for it, and if words alone could do it, everyone who read Buddhism would have these experiences and they don’t. The closest I’ve come to being able to discuss it at all is to compare how consciousness appears to move from waking to dream states and back again, and how the point of view is equally “I” in both these states despite the different kinds of experiences we have while in them. There are parallels that can teach us a lot about waking consciousness.

• One of the ways to think about the ‘I’ is by imagining what the I feels like for someone else. What is it like to be this other person? To be like them? To become their ‘I’? What would it be like to have gone through every single act of providence that he witnessed? What is it like to have made those choices that she did? What is it like to be an immigrant, an Inuit person, an Irishman? What is it like to be that chicken, that cow, that fish, that tree, that rock? There is so much a rock sees that I don’t. It has a much longer life span as the water and sand chip away at it at the rate of a millimeter every 100 years. The more we do this exercise, the more we merge our consciousness with that of other beings around us and begin to feel a sort of kinship with everything around us.

Thank you to all those who posted links to Animism videos here. The problem with labels is that some of us don’t want to believe in anything that has already been defined, labeled, categorized, discussed and debated. In true anarchic fashion. But Animism is one hell of a label if there was ever one.

• Satish Musunuru Says:
    “One of the ways to think about the ‘I’ is by imagining what the I feels like for someone else. What is it like to be this other person? To be like them? To become their ‘I’?”

An excellent idea, indeed! I have been unwittingly doing Turing tests on all & sundry all my life, before I had ever heard of the Turing test, and categorising all those things as sentient or non-sentient. That categorisation is quite arbitrary, based on my cumulative experieces up to the moment of categorisation.

For all I know, I may be wrong, and every thing that I categorised as sentient may in fact be a meat-robot, bereft of awareness, with no awareness of an “I”, but programmed to respond in a perfectly appropriate manner consistent with sentience. Is there a way to prove sentience in an other?

And there is also that feeling of weirdness that I am this, and not a bird or an insect, or whatever.

• coming soon worldwide

Taps start to run dry in Brazil’s largest city – São Paulo devastated by its worst drought on record – ‘We’re witnessing an unprecedented water crisis in one of the world’s great industrial cities’

[begins]

SÃO PAULO, Brazil (The New York Times) – Endowed with the Amazon and other mighty rivers, an array of huge dams and one-eighth of the world’s fresh water, Brazil is sometimes called the “Saudi Arabia of water,” so rich in the coveted resource that some liken it to living above a sea of oil.

But in Brazil’s largest and wealthiest city, a more dystopian situation is unfolding: The taps are starting to run dry.

As southeast Brazil grapples with its worst drought in nearly a century, a problem worsened by polluted rivers, deforestation and population growth, the largest reservoir system serving São Paulo is near depletion. Many residents are already enduring sporadic water cutoffs, some going days without it. Officials say that drastic rationing may be needed, with water service provided only two days a week.

also

Graph of the day: Humid Heat Stroke Index in U.S. Midwest, projected to the year 2099

[begins]

This graph shows the mean number of days in a typical Midwest summer when the temperature and humidity could reach Humid Heat Stroke Index (HHSI) category II, III, or even greater. These are days when the heat and humidity could be so high that it will be dangerous for humans to remain outdoors.

Increased heat and humidity and variations in precipitation will have a significant impact on the Midwest economy as a whole and on particular sectors such as energy and agriculture.

• @shep,

Part of the younger crowd? Not hardly. I’m a solid 64. The idea that lovemaking is the sole province of youth is a pernicious ageist rumour.

I’m not suggesting “partying” in general. I’m pointing specifically towards lovemaking, of the most intense, connected, mindful sort possible – used as an act of Dionysian reverence and celebration of the miracle of living in the face of death.

@oldgrowthforest,

Yes, I’m completely in tune with Robin’s understanding of the nature of the “I”. My outer practice is Taoist, but my inner practice is very solidly Advaita.

I’ve had two experiences of the void in the last decade. One was longer but unrecognized, because it happened very early in my journey. The other was very short and utterly transformative – the Buddha-looking-at-Venus thing. Since then there has been no question about the illusion of the “I”. Despite that, I hadn’t yet found the words to frame the continuing experience that still appears as “I”. That’s what you gave me.

• I’ve posted a new edition of “Edge of Extinction.” It’s here.

• Everything already is cosmic. Universalizing Now doesn’t make it more cosmic, but it blinds us to the eternal reality in front of us. There is no “self,” that’s true, but “I” absolutely am, and “I” am the only eternal reality that exists.

I love that, and the entire conversation and posts of everyone here, bar none. That is all.

That and to state that Guy’s mic delivery is very relaxed and natural, and the message right on point, as always.